Friday, January 21, 2005

There Ain't No Free Lunch

Or so they say. Today for lunch, I went with some colleagues to Texas Land & Cattle. I ordered Chicken Fried Chicken with Steak Fries—I know what some of you are thinking, but my weight loss program is about eating less, not avoiding any foods. When the food came, I noticed that the breading wasn't attached to the chicken very well but didn't think much about it. I also noticed a thin layer between the breading and the meat that I assumed was the skin of the chicken. After eating about a third of the chicken, some of the breading flaked away and I got a closer look at that layer.

It wasn't the skin.

It was some sort of paper.

I called our waitress over and told her about it, and she took my food away. A few minutes later the Manager came over and explained that it was the deli paper that they put between the chicken breasts before using them, and that somehow the cook had failed to pull it off before breading and frying my meal. My meal was free, and there were no ill-effects of the foreign substance.

All in all, there are many far worse things that one could find in one's food.

No comments: