I went with my mom and sister to see the touring company production of Oklahoma! in Dallas tonight. My dad was supposed to go, but he wasn't feeling well, so I went in his place. It was an enjoyable show, but it had a few major problems:
1) Will Parker was played by the understudy, who was a tremendous dancer, but who couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.
2) I couldn't understand Laurey on "People Will Say We're in Love."
3) I couldn't understand Jud on "Lonely Room."
4) Jud was played as not just angry, lonely, mean, and maybe a bit slow, but downright demented and deranged.
Now, for the positives:
1) Ali Hakim was brilliant.
2) Ado Annie was solid and pleasant.
3) The dancing was top notch.
4) The dream sequence was the best I have ever seen it done.
In the not necessarily good or bad category, Curly's voice sounded like Will Ferrell impersonating President Bush, and he looked like a cross between Thomas Gibson and a young Robert Urich.