Friday, January 07, 2005

My Honey Lamb and I

I went with my mom and sister to see the touring company production of Oklahoma! in Dallas tonight. My dad was supposed to go, but he wasn't feeling well, so I went in his place. It was an enjoyable show, but it had a few major problems:

1) Will Parker was played by the understudy, who was a tremendous dancer, but who couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

2) I couldn't understand Laurey on "People Will Say We're in Love."

3) I couldn't understand Jud on "Lonely Room."

4) Jud was played as not just angry, lonely, mean, and maybe a bit slow, but downright demented and deranged.

Now, for the positives:

1) Ali Hakim was brilliant.

2) Ado Annie was solid and pleasant.

3) The dancing was top notch.

4) The dream sequence was the best I have ever seen it done.

In the not necessarily good or bad category, Curly's voice sounded like Will Ferrell impersonating President Bush, and he looked like a cross between Thomas Gibson and a young Robert Urich.

2 comments:

Killer Tomato said...

This must be the non-Equity tour that played here in Pittsburgh recently. Here's the review that ran here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04365/434403.stm

The main problem people had with this show was that, since it was non-Equity it really didn't deserve to be part of the "Broadway Series" that it was marketed under. Naturally, I didn't get to see it (and won't get to see "The Producers" which comes through here next month, either), but then "Oklahoma" isn't my favorite show anyway.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway, sort of!

The Calvinator said...

Yup, that was it. They even had the same understudy as Will Parker. I think the review was a bit generous.