Friday, January 07, 2005

My Honey Lamb and I

I went with my mom and sister to see the touring company production of Oklahoma! in Dallas tonight. My dad was supposed to go, but he wasn't feeling well, so I went in his place. It was an enjoyable show, but it had a few major problems:

1) Will Parker was played by the understudy, who was a tremendous dancer, but who couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

2) I couldn't understand Laurey on "People Will Say We're in Love."

3) I couldn't understand Jud on "Lonely Room."

4) Jud was played as not just angry, lonely, mean, and maybe a bit slow, but downright demented and deranged.

Now, for the positives:

1) Ali Hakim was brilliant.

2) Ado Annie was solid and pleasant.

3) The dancing was top notch.

4) The dream sequence was the best I have ever seen it done.

In the not necessarily good or bad category, Curly's voice sounded like Will Ferrell impersonating President Bush, and he looked like a cross between Thomas Gibson and a young Robert Urich.

1 comment:

The Radical Texan said...

Yup, that was it. They even had the same understudy as Will Parker. I think the review was a bit generous.