Sunday, October 08, 2006

Our State Fair is a Great State Fair

Don't miss it. Don't even be late.

Today, well actually yesterday since it is after Midnight, I ventured into the world of the State Fair of Texas. I was accompanied on this journey by my wife, our four daughters, my wife's cousin and her husband, and their three children. We only spent four hours there, but it seemed like more. It wasn't bad, really, it just seemed like it was more than 4 hours.

I ate two Fletcher's Corny Dogs and a Funnel Cake. Not too bad when I think about it. I didn't get any deep-fried Oreo's™ like I did last year, but that's mainly because I didn't see the place to get them.

I highly recommend going to the fair on OU/Texas gameday. The only bad time was when we had to buy some more fair coupons, which are required for riding rides or buying food and beverage. We were trying to get some at about the same time that all the football game attenders were arriving at the park. They were all, it seemed, trying to get coupons to buy their lunches and probably a beer or two or twelve before they entered the Cotton Bowl (you can't buy alcohol in the stadium for some inexplicable reason). Once the crowd started making its way into the game, the fair was great. No wait for rides. You could walk the Midway without ever touching another person. It was the most empty I've ever seen the fairgrounds on a day the Fair is open.

After we got home, I was pretty tired, and I almost fell asleep on the living room couch, but when I finally tried to go to sleep in my own bed at 10:30, all of a sudden, I was wide awake. It goes back to my weird sleep patterns.

I'm gonna go back upstairs and read a little to see if it will help put me to sleep. I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. So far, I am really enjoying it.

No comments: