Friday, April 14, 2006

A Pox upon Me for a Clumsy Lout

Last night, I was installing a line filter for the ice maker. I went to Lowe's and bought the hardware I needed to do the job and headed home to finish the task. Everything was going well until I proceeded to assemble the first connector. I applied teflon tape to reduce the risk of leaking and tightened the part. Once I got it hand-tightened, I thought that I should get it as tight as possible. So, I got a pair of pliers and began really torqueing that thing down.

Did I mention that the parts in question are plastic?

You have probably already foreseen where this is heading. As I tightened and tightened, I heard that dreaded sound:

CRACK!

I had broken the plastic. I went ahead and finished the connections and tried it out, but obviously, the cracked part leaked like a sieve.

After work today, I'm stopping by the Home Depot on the way home to see if they happen to have a part I can use as a replacement. I can order replacement parts from the manufacturer of the filter, but they cost more than $11, and I'd have to wait until the middle of next week for them to arrive.

No comments: